Tuesday, November 9, 2010

American Psycho

...is a pretty intense book. I am sure there are many of you who have seen the film adaptation of this Bret Easton Ellis book, and rather paradoxically, I urge you to simultaneously stay away and also pick up the original text. Although I haven't finished the book yet (I'm about three quarters of the way through), it is in equal measure both graphically shocking and interesting. For those of you who haven't read, or know very little about the book, it focusses on the life of Wall Street 'yuppie' Patrick Bateman (played in the film version by Christian Bale, pictured above) as he indulges in psychotic, murderous rampages when he is not at the day job. He becomes seemingly more unhinged and blood thirsty as the book progresses and I can only imagine how all his crazy antics will pan out - I am definitely up for seeing what will happen though. Is that wrong?

Anyway, if you want a book that will both shock and grab you, have a look at American Psycho. I actually read that in New Zealand and Australia, it is illegal to sell the book to anyone under 18 and it actually comes shrink wrapped in store! All the more reason to check it out!

As a side note, if you want some awesome music to listen to, I am currently spinning Saves The Day's 'Stay What You Are' album - it undoubtedly rocks.

Jonty x

No comments:

Post a Comment