Saturday, November 20, 2010

All time, top five...



High Fidelity is not only a great book, it's a great film too - something I normally only like to attribute to Stephen King texts*. What resonates so well with me from the Nick Hornby book (and indeed the film adaptation) is the consistent categorisation of everything, and I do mean everything, into personal all time top fives. I don't know, but there's something very satisfying and very simple about putting one's favourite albums or films or anything of worth into a top five caboodle.

Perhaps my next few posts on here will detail a few of my more important top fives (believe me, I have a fair few)? For now, I'll post one that I have recently updated this week and that is my all time, top five favourite cheeseburgers. Bear in mind, that with my top fives, number one is never better than number five; they're all good and that is why they are in the list. Drumroll please...

Number one:
GBK (Gourmet Burger Kitchen) - This is a chain of up market burger eateries in the UK actually started by a New Zealand chef and boy is it tasty. The entry into my top five here however, is their very basic but insanely delicious cheeseburger. Plenty of mayo, awesomely fresh romaine lettuce, a good slab of cheddar that isn't too sharp, and the best Aberdeen Angus beef patty you've ever tasted.

Number two:
In-n-Out Burger - I first tried this California exclusive** back at the beginning of 2009 when I studied abroad in Sacramento, and even though I knew what to expect then, wow what a burger! I've finally nailed my perfect order though--taking account of all those hidden augmentations you can make--to a 4x4, no onions, extra lettuce and extra spread. Perfect. Evidently, this is not your typical fast food burger joint by any stretch of the imagination! Everything is freshly prepared, in fact, one of the main reasons the place hasn't expanded is because a location HAS to be within a day's drive of their meat processing plant! That is quality you can definitely taste!

Number three:
Rubicon Brewing Company, Sacramento CA - I know, not a burger place specifically but this local microbrewery in Sacramento CA actually serves one of the best burgers I've ever had! Again, super fresh ingredients and nothing crazy. A great American tasting*** all beef patty with fresh tomatoes, onions and a huge wedge of romaine lettuce! A very recent, but very welcome addition to my all time top five!

Number four:
The Old Studio Coffee House, Witney UK - Again, not a burger joint per se but the best bad burger you've ever had! A favourite at my old job for both me and my colleagues, make sure you order it with cheese, lettuce and mayonnaise! So bad it's awesome.

Number five: Jose's Fish Bar, Witney UK - Another home town favourite, this typical chip shop burger comes complete with a no fuss thin patty that, rather unusually for such burgers, covers the entire surface area of the bottom bun! It's greasy and messy but oh so good! I make sure to order mine with lettuce and fried onions and of course, the mayo!

So that's it! My all time top five favourite burgers. The list my change as you might expect, but for now these are the best five burgers available in my life!

* - Stephen King actually has the most book to film adaptations of any author ever and as a result they're not all great! So there is an element of sarcasm in this sentence which I don't think will translate. I think for it to make sense, you really need to see the film Maximum Overdrive, then it will make sense. Yes.


** - Whilst I've stated California exclusive, I am indeed aware that In-n-Out has locations in Nevada, Utah and Arizona.


*** - Yes, American beef does taste different and sometimes, depending on what you're eating, there really isn't an alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment