Tuesday, November 30, 2010

All time, top five...



Favourite Films. This is a little bit more tricky as the list tends to change a bit. My list as of right now however, is the following - again not in any specific order.

The Matrix (1999)
This just simply is the best film ever, no question for me. I saw this for the first time on Christmas Day in 1999 and on VHS of all things, but boy did it resonate with me even then. Groundbreaking camera work and a kind of cyber-punk feel that Im yet to see done as well. I am now on my 25th viewing of the film and a Christmas day screening is a no brainer for my family even now. While the general consensus toward the second and third films is somewhat hateful, I quite enjoyed them. Having said that, had they left it at the first film, I wouldn't have minded.

Donnie Darko (2001)
Again, a film that really hit me when I first saw it. This one has a little bit of a mixed audience of lovers and haters, but I am most certainly the former. An awesome non-linear story combined with a great cast and a great script makes this an all round awesome film. If you haven't seen it, make it happen!

Evil Dead II (1987)
Here's another one that I saw for the first time on VHS (as you should see it!). To say I'm obsessed with the whole Evil Dead / Army of Darkness franchise would definitely be an understatement, it is THAT AWESOME. Whilst the first film in 1982 redefined a lot of what it means and takes to make a horror film, the updated sequel / remake five years later just tops it for me. It's funny, scary, weird and everything you could want in one go. Sam Raimi is undoubtedly one of masters of contemporary horror and I know for a fact I will never tire of this film... without doubt, one to show the kids!

American History X (1998)
I don't really need to say that much about this for if you have seen it, you will probably know why it is in my top five. It hit me pretty hard the first time I saw it, and its driving theme will definitely open any audience's eyes. Ed Norton's performance is world class, as is the general script, but wow... what an ending.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Whilst it's a tricky one for me, this is the best film adaption of a Stephen King text. If you want a perfect film, this is pretty much it. Surprisingly, it kinda flopped in theatres when it came out, but has (like all good things) garnered quite a following in the years since; consistently making 'the best films of all time' lists. Tim Robbins is so, so good here - WATCH IT NOW (even if you have already seen it).

So that's it. Like I said, the list can change which is why I like to keep the time tested films there. My next top five entry will more than likely be TV shows be we shall see!

Jonty x

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud to say that I have seen all five! I think we should watch American History X soon. It's been a while since I last watched it, & it's a great film. Very well written post :.)

    ReplyDelete